Three Proms, One Night

Prom 2019 is a huge hit with juniors and seniors

Emma Gray, Managing Editor

The junior class wrapped up another successful prom.
Prom took place on Saturday, April 27 from 8 p.m. to midnight. This year’s theme was Roaring Twenties. Old fashioned movie lights lined the walkway as dance goes entered the stadium. Cut out swing band members were placed thought the tent. All the decorations were done in gold and black.
Junior class members arrived at the event early to help set up.

“Setting up was challenging but it was so much fun,” junior Ella Biasillo said. “The wind was killer and it made set-up a lot more difficult than it needed to be. It was really nice to see everything come together and then later on that night it came to life!”

Senior Drew Nowland thought the dance decorations did a great job of reflecting the theme.

“I really enjoyed the set up,” Nowland said. “It really reminded me of the twenties and a Mardi Gras-feel.”
Senior Hannah Cornett loved the venue. “I really enjoyed the set-up of Prom this year,” senior Hannah Cornett said. “The fire pits were a nice touch, and the overall tent-placement was really nice and they used the space nicely.”
Around 10 p.m. the dance floor cleared for a special performance.
Student musicians Garret Heiston, aka Vimski, and Noah Feno, aka Lil
Trippp, performed their single “Strawberry Shortcake.” “It was my idea to perform at Prom,” Heiston said.
“Ever since Feno and I put it [“Strawberry Shortcake”] out, we have been dying to perform it. I knew that Prom was one of our last chances to perform this together, mainly because it was Feno’s senior prom.”
The pair had to work with Karen Frye, prom sponsor, and the DJ, in order to perform that night. “We had to hand over the backing track to Ms. Frye before the dance had started and the rest is history,” Feno said.
Heiston thought the performance went well.

“Performing with Feno was an incredible opportunity,” Heiston said. “We both carry the same vibes and feed off of each other’s energy all the time. We hang around all the time in and outside of school, so we knew we were bound to perform together at some point.” Heiston said.
Feno was also pleased with the performance.

“The experience was really exciting to be able to show off our song, that we had worked so hard on, at a public event. Since it was my senior, it was even more special.”

Junior Amanda Deliee had no idea there was going to be a live performance at the dance.

“That was the first time I heard the song,” Deliee said. “All of their friends were really hype on the dance floor. It was interesting to watch.”

Around 10:30 p.m., the DJ introduced this year’s prom court. The court was made up of seniors Carly Herbert and Miles Housley, Nicole Gray and Jack Riley, Susan Pillow and David Doheny, and Emmalee Stokes and Noah Stallard.
Riley was honored to be part of the court.

“It was a really fun experience,” Riley said. “It made it even more special that I got to spend it with Nicole.” Housley and Herbert were crowned this year’s king and queen. “It was really exciting,” Herbert said. “I definitely didn’t really expect it but it was a great addition to an already great night.” “It was really awesome to be crowned king,” Housley said.

“Being able to dance with my girlfriend with everyone else was really special.”
When the dance ended, after prom kicked off. The event took place from midnight to 4 a.m. in the commons and gym. Students were able to play casino games, race in a blow up obstacle course, ride a mechanical bull, or relax and watch a movie.
“The food was really good,” Deliee said. “There was chickfila, pizza, cookies and the Carousel truck.” Prizes were handed out throughout the night.
Senior McKenzie Betz was one of the winners of a brand new Chromebook. “It was really surprising,” Betz said. “You don’t expect it, but you always hope to be called. I was happy when I got up and actually got it handed to me.”
Junior Sarah Scardina won the first place parking spot. The grand prize was a check for $2019.
“Winning the check for the $2,019 was incredible,” Riley said. “I want to invest it for my savings.”
Junior Seth Richards won a $50 giftcard and a yearbook.
The audience was shocked when junior Ben Byus won a Coach purse. “That was funny,” Cannizzo said. “He looked completely not amused.”