Trying Their Hands at AP Classes

Sharon Krasny brings AP Seminar to Kettle Run

Hannah Barr, Assistant Editor

If you want to take AP classes but aren’t sure if you can handle the workload, you’re in luck.
AP Seminar is a new class that allows sophomores and juniors to test the waters in AP. The class is offered through College Board and is taught by English teacher Sharon Krasny. Kettle Run is one of only 56 schools in the state to offer it.
“The class allows students who aren’t attending MVGS to have the opportunity to conduct research and understand what it means to produce a product worthy of any college classroom,” Krasny said. “Since we do not have a big pre-AP system set up in Fauquier, this class allows sophomores the opportunity to try their hand at an AP class before the big junior/senior year.”
Krasny worked hard to bring the class here to Kettle Run.
“I saw this course four years ago and have asked each year since until finally Dr. Sandra Mitchell, former associate superintendent for instruction, said she was ready to make this class a reality,” Krasny said.
Currently, there are 17 students enrolled in the class. Junior Ella Biasillo is one of them.
“By taking AP Seminar and AP Research, you can graduate with your capstone diploma,” Biasillo said. She added, “I love the people and the collab atmosphere.”
Junior William Hunter is also enrolled in the class.
“I like the freedom of the class,” Hunter said. “The field trips are nice too.”
The class recently took a field trip to Verdun Adventure Bound, a high ropes facility that focuses on team building. They met up with students enrolled in this same class over at Fauquier High School.
“The schools were mixed together on four different teams and each team had separate challenges that they had to learn to work through together,” Krasny said.
Krasny used information from the trip to Verdun to divide the students into teams. There are three challenges the teams must complete in addition to taking the AP test.
The first challenge is a team research report and presentation which is videotaped. The second challenge is an individual research report and presentation. The final challenge is to present an Expo for county officials, parents, and any interested teachers/students based on their research. All three of these challenges are sent to AP Central College Board for credit.
Krasny suggests that students who are self motivated and want a challenge should talk to their guidance counselor or come to an informational meeting in the spring to learn more.
Junior William Hunter highly recommends the class to anyone who would want to take it.
“Take the class if you want to see the world in a different way,” Hunter said.