The Chronicle

The student news site of Kettle Run High School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

NAHS: Power in Paint

Spring+paint+night+art+pieces.+
Tisha Burke
Spring paint night art pieces.

Last week, Kettle Run’s NAHS hosted Spring Paint Night, with additional events in the works. 

NAHS, better known as The Kettle Run Art Honor’s Society,  hosted the Spring Paint Night last Thursday. During that night, students and members came to learn how to paint a water scene featuring a dragonfly or a butterfly by choice. It’s a way for students to be in the program and possibly enhance their art abilities, tapping into their creativity.

Nevertheless, NAHS does more than paint nights. It also allows students to publish their artwork in various ways outside school, such as entering work in NSHS and Virginia state newsletters. In addition, it not only builds students’ portfolios but opens doors for scholarships that students can apply for in the future. 

Most importantly, KRHS uses its art to shine a light on the community. The program creates memory portraits that picture kids in third-world countries that later get sent to them. Significantly, this has impacted kids amid chaos and poverty, who get to see something beautiful in the art. “They do not usually get to see a picture of themselves, so when they get the portrait, they see that a teenager like them made it, said Mrs. Burke, a primary sponsor of KRHS.”

All together, students can still stay intact with their art while still working on the projects the KRHS provides. “My favorite thing about this class is that it helps me get motivated to do art because we are constantly every week doing different projects and stuff throughout the year,” said Felix, who is a junior and a student in the class.” As a result, students can improve their art and explore their expression in art in general with others in the program. Overall, KRHS is more than just art, the program is a community.