Seniors Win Kettle Run’s First Ever Powder Buff Volleyball Tournament

PILOTSTUDIOS

The Senior Powder Buff team poses with the trophy following their win over the juniors.

Mandy Holmes, Managing Editor

As many of you know, Powder Puff is a typical spirit week game in which girls play flag football and are coached by guys. Previously, there hadn’t been an option like that for guys to play in, until this year when Kettle Run DECA hosted Powder Buff. This is a set of volleyball games where guys play and girls coach. Each grade level had a team and the games were set up tournament style. The seniors played the freshmen, the juniors played the sophomores, and the winners advanced to the championship, while the losers battled for third place. 

In the first game, the seniors came out strong and blew by the struggling freshman team in just two sets. The juniors did the same and steamrolled the sophomores in two sets as well. This led to the sophomores playing the freshman, and ultimately beating the freshman to claim third place. The intensity kicked up in the championship game between the upperclassmen. After going back and forth, the seniors pulled away and won the first set by two points. In the second set, the juniors made some big plays and won the second set. With the championship on the line, the upperclassmen went back and forth in the third set until the seniors made a timely rally. They got the biggest lead of the whole match and won 21 to 13. By winning two of the three sets, the seniors became victorious. 

Overall, Kettle Run DECA’s first Powder Buff tournament was a success. The players were energized, the fans were hype, and the championship game was intense. Congratulations to the seniors on their crazy fun win!