The Chronicle

The student news site of Kettle Run High School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

Fauquier’s Fire Fighting Future

How To Be Involved In The Future of Firefighting
Fauquier Fire Rescue System Poster

The Warrenton Volunteer Fire Company visited KRHS on May 17th to discuss how the Fire Science program can help teens enter a rewarding career as firefighters.

The history of the Warrenton Volunteer Fire Company begins with its incorporation on December 3rd, 1924. William Bartenstein was the first fire chief of the company and the department building is in the same location to this day. Their stations are staffed 24/7 and they now help teach the Fire Science program. 

The Fire Science program is a class at Fauquier County’s fire departments. Students can take this class to experience and learn how to become a firefighter. It’s available to anyone who’s 16 and older. In addition, you also have to have to be a member of a fire and rescue station. By being a member of your local fire and rescue station, you will be issued your own “PPE” and be covered by the county’s insurance policy. Students who take the Fire Science program travel to Fauquier High School before being transported to the Fauquier Fire Rescue Training Center located at 210, Hospital Drive, Warrenton VA. 

The class is taught by firefighters, which means you will get an exemplary experience. The class includes learning how materials and equipment work, and having hands-on experience such as live training exercises. One of our students in the Fire Science Program Dylan Garrett said, “It’s definitely a big commitment, but for me, it’s probably the biggest commitment in my life so far. It’s a lot of fun. I’d say do it.” Students who take the Fire Science program will receive the opportunity to pursue a rewarding career as a firefighter because they can leave the program with their Fire Science 1 and Hazmat certifications. 

As part of being a student in the Fire Science program, you get hands-on experience in firefighting such as entering burning buildings and practicing putting equipment on time. Lieutenant Josendale explained to us that as part of their many drills, anytime anyone at the station says the word  “box,” everyone is to drop what they are doing and quickly change into their full gear as fast as possible. The Fire Science program truly helps prepare you with every aspect when it comes to being a firefighter. The biggest hurdle is not just the physical endurance a firefighter must have. Recruit Lawson said, “Yeah, it’s a lot of mentality. If you’re not in it or you can’t, you know, mentally get yourself through it, you’re not going to get through it. It’s one of those things you have to want to be here to do.”

Not everyone wants or can be a career firefighter, volunteering is another option. Volunteering can enlighten students who want to take action as a potential firefighter and gain skills within the department along the way. Being a volunteer takes dedication and responsibility.  It can also allow those who cannot fully commit to being a full-time firefighter the opportunity to be a firefighter. Volunteering with the fire department would be the ultimate way to give back to the community. 

If you are interested in the Fire Science program or volunteering don’t hesitate to get in touch with Bobby Tarr at [email protected] or check out their website at www.fauquierfirerescue.org to get more information.

Becoming a firefighter is more than just fighting fires it is an opportunity to give back to the community and this is why Fauquier County Fire Rescue System needs you to join today.