The Chronicle

The student news site of Kettle Run High School

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

A New Chapter for Ms. Heckathorn

“Often, when you think you’re at the end of something, you’re at the beginning of something else.” –Fred Rogers. December 21st is the end of the fall semester for us, but it is just the beginning of Ms. Heckathorn’s retirement. As Ms. Heckathorn is about to begin this new adventure, I thought we should take a moment to remember all she has done for our school.

In 1981, Ms. Heckathorn graduated from Allegany High School in Cumberland, Maryland. Then, in 1985, she graduated from Randolph-Macon Woman’s College with an undergraduate degree in biology. In 1984, she completed her undergraduate minor in criminology at the University of Maryland, College Park. Finally, she completed her teaching license at Old Dominion University and Mary Washington University. Ms. Heckathorn has always loved biology, ever since she took the class when she was in 10th grade, but her favorite thing to teach is anatomy and physiology. She said, “It is a college-level course without a strict curriculum to cover before a major exam, unlike biology with the SOL and AP biology with the AP exam. So it can be a bit more relaxed, but students are highly motivated to do well.”

Ms. Heckathorn started working at Kettle Run in 2011 but has been involved here ever since the school opened in 2008. With her son being a part of the first junior class, she volunteered as a band mom and has also been a computer representative for the Varsity Swim Teams. Before teaching at Kettle Run, she taught at C. Hunter Ritchie Elementary School and Fauquier High School. When I asked her what her favorite thing about Kettle Run was, she said, “All of the diverse opportunities for students and staff here. In addition to helping the band and swim team, I have been a sophomore class sponsor and National Honor Society sponsor. All of these activities have brought me joy over the years.” Ms. Heckathorn’s favorite memory here is when she got to sit next to her son and be the staff line leader at graduation so she could be the first to hug him when he graduated.

Ms. Heckathorn has traveled all over the world to places like China, the Bahamas, the Dominican Republic, England, France, Greece, Italy, and many more countries. When I asked Ms. Hackathorn if she could live anywhere in the world, she said, “Topsail Beach, NC. It has always been my home away from home. I was blessed to buy my vacation home there in 2018. I will be retiring there with my new husband next year.” Some of the most exciting news is that Ms. Heckathorn is going to get married. She is currently planning her wedding for 2024. She loves all kinds of sports, but if she were forced to choose, she would have to go with swimming and football. All of her children have been competitive swimmers. Growing up, she was raised in all Pittsburgh sports. Her dad would take her to the Pittsburgh Steelers’ training camp. She currently has season tickets for the Steelers and tries to make as many games as possible. One of Ms. Heckathorn’s dreams is to sing the national anthem at one of the Steelers’ home games.

Ms. Heckathorn has made many contributions to Kettle Run High School. She has definitely made it a better place. We will all miss her dearly, but the things she will miss the most are the friendships she has made with everyone here at Kettle Run and being able to share her passion for science with us. Thank you doesn’t represent all of the appreciation we have for her service, commitment, and support of the Kettle Run family. While it is always difficult to say goodbye, we are very excited for the adventures that lay ahead for her. We are all wishing for Ms. Heckathorn to have a wonderful retirement and a great wedding.