Cougar Ice Hockey is on a Roll

Captain Jake Green skating during a Kettle Run game against Tuscarora/Heritage on December 9, 2022. Photo Credit to Hockey Night in NoVa

Mandy Holmes, Managing Editor

The Kettle Run ice hockey team has gotten off to a strong start! After falling just two goals short in their season opener to Yorktown, the Cougars have been on a roll. As of mid-January, they have won four games straight and are third in the Patrick division with a 4-1 record. Ahead of them sits Battlefield and John Champe/Lightridge, both of whom Kettle Run will battle within a month. 

Kettle Run’s offense has been steamrolling, as they’ve outscored their opponents 46 to 15 through just five games. Their biggest wins were 12-2 mercy rules, which came over Paul VI and Flint Hill. This elite offense is led by brothers Matt and Jake Green, who have a combined 37 points. These senior captains are on the top-five leaderboards in the Patrick division for goals scored, assists, and points. Junior Ryan Dachowski joins them by leading the division in assists. 

The Cougar’s biggest game was their home opener against Gainesville/Patriot. The game was Hockey Night in NoVa’s “Game of the Week”. This social media promotion brought lots of attention and the student sections showed out. Kettle Run won this meeting against their rival, 10-2. It was a true team win as 10 different players contributed points. Matt Green led the Cougars in goals with a hattrick. 

For those who don’t know, Hockey Night in NoVa is an organization of hockey enthusiasts trying to grow the recognition of high school hockey in Northern Virginia. They promote players and teams, along with hosting an annual all-star game. HNINOVA is always looking for more student interns, and as one, I can say it has been such an incredible experience. There are programs in marketing, public relations, journalism, graphic design, photography/videography, and statistics. Visit www.hockeynightinnova.org/programs if you are interested in gaining some fun, real-world experience! 

Kettle Run is at the midpoint of their season and have five games left until playoffs begin. They are looking to make a deep playoff run, coming off their Provisional Championship win last season. Dachowski says, “The team is doing well since the one loss. With the way we’ve been playing, a repeat championship is definitely possible.” Captain Jake Green shares that hope, saying, “Our team has seemed to mesh well together no matter what combination of players are on the ice at the same time. We still manage to play well and score goals. If we continue to play this well as a team, I expect us to make it far in the playoffs and hopefully become back-to-back champions.” The Cougars are rolling and don’t plan on slowing down. Overall, the team is coming together well as they attempt a repeat championship!