Fans Assemble to Watch the Endgame

TSA attends a private screening of the superhero blockbuster

Dan Stell, Staff Reporter

It’s one of the hottest movies of the year and students in Karen Frye’s and Bill Davidson’s classes got to see it on opening day during a private screening.

Marvel Avengers: Endgame opened in theaters nationwide on Friday, April 26. The film set a number of box office records, opening to $350 million domestic, $859 million overseas and $1.2 billion worldwide.

Frye organized the field trip. “It’s relative to our classes,” Frye said. “I teach Graphic Design, so we thought it would be a great opportunity to discuss everything we have learned recently, in a
fun environment.”

Frye contacted Regal Theater in Gainesville, VA to organize the private screening. “Essentially, anyone can arrange a private screening,” Davidson said. “All that’s needed for the private screening
is about 100 people.”

Sixty-four Kettle Run students attended the field trip and were joined by approximately 60 students from Fauquier High School.

Brian Adair, ITRT, was one of the chaperones. He had mixed feelings about the film.

“The movie was okay,” Adair said. “I thought the second one was much better. Although it was three hours, it moved along fairly well and kept its viewers enthralled.”

Kurt Mergen also chaperoned the trip. Although he admits he’s not up to date with all the Marvel films, he said that didn’t prevent him from following the storyline.

“I haven’t watched all the movies, and it was still riveting and the most epic movie I’ve ever seen; epic meaning scope- it overfills the screen,” Mergen said. “It did not feel like a three hour movie.”

Senior Lance Mimna was among the students who attended.

“It was cool to be able to leave school to go see the movie on the day it came out with my friends,” Mimna said. “We analyzed the film and looked for things that we’ve done in class.”

Senior Gavin Zeamer also attended the field trip. Zeamer is a fan of Marvel comics and has seen all the movies.

“I thought it was just okay,” Zeamer said. “They tried to make a bunch of emotional moments for characters that we didn’t have any connection to. That being said, some of the jokes landed really well, but there were also some jokes that were off. The good was more memorable than the bad.”

Students paid $16 to go on the field trip and that price included their movie ticket and transportation.

Mimna said when they came back to school the following week, they had a class discussion about things they had done in class that appeared in the film.